Although bingo is rarely spoken about in the same vein as traditional casino gambling games like slots or poker, it is outrageously popular and has been for several hundred years. With its origins lying in a 16th-century Italian lottery called Il Gioco del Lotto d’Italia, bingo spread across the world, finding a home in anywhere from classrooms to taverns.
In the process of spreading, bingo also ended up with several variations, and 90-ball bingo is one of the most widespread across all bingo sites. As you can imagine, 90-ball bingo is a version that uses 90 balls and a 3x9 bingo scorecard. Learning how to play 90-ball bingo isn’t particularly difficult, especially if you have experience playing other bingo varieties like 75-ball bingo.
Whereas 75-bingo was the dominant version of bingo in America, 90-ball bingo tends to be played the most in the UK. Over the course of the 20th century, millions of people playing 90-ball bingo in bingo halls. However, nowadays, online 90-ball bingo at sites like Umbingo is the most popular.
New customers that deposit £10 or more at Umbingo can get a welcome offer of up to 500 free spins to play slot games (Full Ts & Cs Apply), so it is no surprise that people love playing 90-ball bingo online. Before you do, though, keep reading to learn how to play 90-ball bingo and top tips on how to win.
What is 90-ball bingo?
Learning how to play 90-ball bingo is critical for new players, but it is also worth understanding the basics of what 90-ball bingo is. As mentioned before, the foundations of bingo were set all the way back in 1530 where the Italians started playing the Il Gioco del Lotto d’Italia.
Although this game was similar, it wasn’t until the 18th century that 90-ball bingo started to appear in earnest under the French name “Le Lotto”. Forward-wind to the post-WWII years and British soldiers had returned with a new game called “Housey Housey” – this was 90-ball bingo.
Learning how to play 90-ball bingo is an essential part of British culture by now, with the game being played regularly in schools and bingo halls. Played on a 3x9 bingo scorecard with 90 balls, the game aim is to cross off as many horizontal lines as possible. There are three main ways to win during 90-ball bingo:
- Crossing off 1 line.
- Crossing off 2 horizontal lines.
- Crossing off 3 lines, also known as a Full House.
The prize for a Full House is the largest, but we will explore that in more detail further along in this how to play 90-ball bingo article.
How to play 90-ball bingo games
Learning how to play 90-ball bingo isn’t particularly difficult, which makes the game so accessible. For example, playing 90-ball bingo at sites like Umbingo requires a little effort to learn the basics. Keep reading for a step-by-step breakdown of how to play 90-ball bingo. Afterwards, you can play for real money at Umbingo:
- The first thing to do is find somewhere to play 90-ball bingo. Bingo halls are a popular option here, as are online bingo sites like Umbingo. Watch out for welcome offers with the latter. At Umbingo, there are 500 free spins on selected slots up for grabs if you deposit £10 or more (Full Ts & Cs Apply).
- To enter a game of bingo, you need to buy a ticket. This is otherwise known as a bingo scorecard, but with 90-ball bingo, things are slightly different. 90-ball bingo tickets come in a strip of 6, with each possible number appearing somewhere on the scorecard. You can just opt for one scorecard, although the odds increase with a full strip of 6.
- Now you have your 90-ball bingo scorecards, the game can commence. Listen closely for the number calls. Each time a number is called that is on your scorecards, you must cross it off.
- Two smaller prizes are available for the first player to cross off one horizontal line or two horizontal lines on their 90-ball bingo scorecard. The ultimate prize is won by whoever crosses all 15 numbers of their scorecard off first. If that’s you, get ready to shout bingo!
Those are the basics of 90-ball bingo out of the way, and as you can see, it is a relatively simple game to pick up. Click the ‘Play Now’ button to get stuck in at Umbingo, but not before you keep reading for some more information on how to play 90-ball bingo.
Getting to grips with the 90-ball bingo scorecard
Although the 90-ball bingo scorecards aren’t the most confusing things in the world, it still pays to know what they look like. Each scorecard has a 3x9 layout with 15 numbers and 4 empty spaces. 90-ball bingo scorecards are largely randomised. However, they do follow a universal pattern. This is how 90-ball bingo scorecards are set out:
90-ball bingo scorecards almost always come in a strip of 6. On each strip, you will be able to find all numbers between 1 and 90. There are two main ways to choose your 90-ball bingo tickets:
- Manual: In bingo halls and at online sites like Umbingo, there is always the option to select bingo tickets manually. Some people love doing this because it means you can choose a scorecard with a nice spread of numbers, although due to the inherent randomness at the heart of bingo, it may not help you win.
- Automatic: A common way to buy scorecards online is to let the computer choose automatically. On most sites hitting the “Auto Select Strips” will randomly select as many 90-ball bingo strips as you have paid for.
Working out ninety ball bingo payouts
One key part of learning how to play 90-ball bingo is understanding how payouts and jackpot prizes work whilst playing. Because let’s be honest: 90-ball bingo is extremely fun, but most people are still playing with the hope of winning money first and foremost.
When it comes to 90-ball bingo jackpot prizes, there are a few factors to consider that will influence the amount of money on offer. Here are a few of them:
- Online 90-ball bingo vs traditional 90-ball bingo: Nowadays, you will often find that playing 90-ball bingo online at sites like Umbingo will unlock far larger prizes. This is mainly because more people are playing online bingo than traditional land-based bingo in 2021, hence why the prizes can be larger.
- Amount of 90-ball bingo players: The number of players in each game can greatly influence 90-ball bingo payouts. If you are playing in a 90-ball bingo game with more players, the prize will be larger. However, it is worth remembering that your odds of winning will be reduced.
- Time of day: In the online bingo world, thinking about the time you are playing 90-ball bingo will also influence payouts. For example, the prizes will be smaller at less busy times, whereas at busier times the jackpots will be much larger.
How do you find the best 90 ball bingo place to play?
A critical but often overlooked part of learning how to play 90-ball bingo is understanding how to find the best place to play. There is so much choice nowadays, so it really helps to know what to look out for. Look below for a few things to consider:
- Location: If you are playing 90-ball bingo in a land-based bingo hall make sure the location suits you.
- Welcome offer: At online 90-ball bingo sites there are often welcome offers designed to gift new players with incentives. At Umbingo, for example, new customers depositing £10 or more can get their hands on 500 free spins on selected slots (Full Ts & Cs Apply).
- Bingo caller: It isn’t as much of an issue with online bingo, but in classic 90-ball bingo halls, the bingo caller can make all the difference. Clarity of voice is key, so you don’t miss any numbers, but it also makes the whole experience much more fun if the bingo caller has a comedic edge.
- Legitimacy: Just like with other online casino games, online 90-ball bingo can sometimes be used by dodgy characters to try and cheat people out of their money. As a result, it is crucial to only play 90-ball bingo at legitimate sites like Umbingo that are licensed and regulated by the UK Gambling Commission.
Those are just a few things to look out for when deciding where to play 90-ball bingo real money. Hit the ‘Play Now’ button to get started at Umbingo, but new customers have to follow these three easy steps first:
- Fill in your user information to create your Umbingo profile.
- Make sure to validate your email address using the link provided. If you cannot see it remember to check your Junk folder.
- New customers that deposit £10 or more can unlock the Umbingo welcome offer. This can result in 500 free spins on selected slots and access to various jumpman bingo games.
*Any Free Spins/Welcome Bonuses References are subject to the following: NEW PLAYERS ONLY, MIN DEPOSIT £10, £8 MAX WIN PER 10 SPINS, MAX BONUS EQUAL TO LIFETIME DEPOSITS (UP TO £250), 65X WAGERING REQUIREMENTS AND FULL T&CS APPLY.
*All values (Bet Levels, Maximum Wins etc.) mentioned in relation to this slot game are subject to change at any time.